Skip to main content

Of words, stories and assignments

While going through a pile of papers I found something interesting

A year ago, when I joined my first year classes, I got an assignment in creative writing on the first day itself. We were given 5 words and we were asked to build a story around them. There was no constraint on the word usage but I chose to stick to as less as possible.

The words were: DOOR, AXE, MIRROR, DRAIN, LEGS

Here are the two versions that I wrote:

#1: His legs grew heavier as he unlocked his front door. He looked tired and drained out but his clothes still smelled of his favourite AXE deodorant. Although he was still in his early thirties, the mirror reflected a different story. All he needed right now was a nice cup of coffee.

#2: She was woken up in the middle of the night by a noise. It was like an axe hitting a metal. At first she thought she was dreaming but then she heard it again. Mustering up all her courage, she moved into the hall. Something on her right moved and her heart skipped a beat. It was just a mirror she was looking at. Her legs were trembling as she slowly pushes open the kitchen door. She fumbled for the light switch and found the button just in time to see a rat going down his favourite kitchen drain.

My second year classes start tomorrow and I guess I have come a long way since these stories both as a person and a writer. Looking forward to another year.


Comments

SiD said…
kitna lamba likha hai... yeh padh..

He Looked in the MIRROR hanging on the DOOR and cut his LEGS with the AXE and all his blood DRAINED out...
Pallav said…
sweet...second year is pretty boring.

Good luck to ya!!

N
Alesea said…
Hey i really like the 1st one....but sid definitely takes the cake here.......lolsss....its been full one year of fun, madness, bitching and loads of other stuff....hpe 2nd year is more maddening.....
Bharti Bedi said…
@ankit:
:) to u 2

@Sid:
badiya hai

@NM:
hope we survive this year too!!!

@Alesea:
fingers crossed ya
Unknown said…
Hmmmdat was interesting...and i njoyed to the fullest...the rat was sure an unexpected guest.Looking fwd to more from u dear..Njoy ur 2nd year as well...all d best
Bharti Bedi said…
@akanksha:
hey thats sweet...hope tosee more of u on this blog...take care!!!
Unknown said…
Hey nice ones.....hope ur second year is as interesting as d first 1...n u get great results as always.
Rashi said…
as u get used to the same kinda fun it gets boring..hope u have new kind of fun now :)

nice blog !
confessing7girl said…
ahh i dont know how u can do it!!! it came out great!! once i read that words i thought of a big scene ... but i couldnt organize my thoughts!! u did an amazing job and so simple!!
Bharti Bedi said…
one word for all of you...supriya rashi and confessing7girl.....
THANX
Unknown said…
Konsa School hai ye..aisi assignements kahan milti hain?
Anonymous said…
i guess thats how they like to start off the mass comm season..my bro had joined the course a few yrs back and they gave his class a similar exercise. it was a wonder how creative people could be with those five words. one person rolled them all into a short sweet sentence and it made perfect sense.
The Lass said…
interesting stories *cough**cough*
wildflower said…
second year!!!mmmm...its time to be a free spirit...bliv me...hv a great time :)

Popular posts from this blog

High Spirited

I am a ghost. But I don’t live on a tree. No not in a graveyard either. I just like to roam around. I don’t have much powers, just the few basic privileges of being stuck in the middle of life and the ultimate moksha . Honestly, I like it here .It’s fun. During the day time, I generally sit in a coffee shop that I could never afford when I was alive. I sit and observe people who can. They are boring. Every Friday I catch the latest hindi flick at the multiplex. Nothing great these days, I tell you. Last week I dozed off even before the interval. If you promise not to tell anyone, I’ll tell you a secret. Sometimes, during the daytime, I go visit my old school. Yes! to attend lectures.!!!!! The miss the stupid subjects that were of no use to me in my later life. I especially like solving maths problems-algebra and geometry that I studied in 10 th standard. The syllabus has changed now. Oh but please don’t tell this to anyone. None of my ghost friends know about this. Yea

Sleepy and hollow

infinite, yet empty busy, yet lazy wanted, yet broken shining, yet dark exciting, yet boring waiting, to be hurt sleepy and hollow so many ways , yet nowhere to go